Low in calories but not in goodness watermelon is a perfect summer sweet treat and we are wild for it!
- Watermelon contains potassium which allows our body to retain calcium and we all know that calcium keeps our bones strong and those pearly whites happy and healthy. Potassium is also important in the regulation of our heart rate and our blood pressure. Pump it up!
- Research suggests that watermelon can reduce fat building up in our fat cells …shut the front door. The combination of high water content and fibre helps to promote a healthy, regular digestive system which is a key component to weight management.
- Hands in the air if you have experienced inflammation and muscle soreness from time to time! Who hasn’t? Watermelon contains some beneficial components like flavonoids, carotenoids and choline that may help reduce those symptoms. The potassium content is also a natural electrolyte and a key for hydration to help regulate our nerves and muscles. Healthy muscles means less aches and pains people.
Studies have suggested that munching on watermelon may decrease our risk of obesity, increase our energy levels and promote healthy skin and hair!
- Watermelon works like a natural diuretic which can help increase the frequency and flow of urine without putting strain on the kidneys. Watermelon can also assist the liver eliminate toxins which gives the kidneys a well-deserved break.
- Watermelon may even help to improve our immune system thanks to its Vitamin C content. Vitamin C also assists the rebuilding of collagen and connective tissue which allows our body to heal as well as keeping our skin looking young and fresh … watermelon, the fresh maker.
- Watermelon could also help us to maintain healthy vision, it contains Vitamin A which is an essential vitamin for healthy eye sight. Vitamin A also helps maintain healthy skin and body tissue… gazuntite!
- Last but certainly not least watermelon provides antioxidants which helps fight free radicals that cause diseases like cancer.
Are you feeling wild yet?
Just in case you need some further convincing (I’m pretty sure you won’t) I’m sharing with you my favourite watermelon beverage recipe! It is ahhhmazing. You could even add a lil’ some somethin’ for the holiday season and create a watermelon cocktail! Just don’t have too many … we want you wild but not THAT wild.
- Vitamix or high powered blender.
- nut milk bag/fine strainer
You Will Need:
- 2 ½ – 3 cups chopped watermelon
- 1 ½ cups coconut water
- 4-5 strawberries
- Juice from 1 lime
- Fresh mint
- 1 cup ice
- Put all the ingredients into your blender in the order listed and secure the lid.
- Blend for 60-90 seconds or until desired consistency is reached.
- Stop the machine and strain watermelon mix through a nut milk bag or fine strainer into a separate jug to remove the pulp. (You may need to do this process twice)
- Straining will leave you with a pulp free Watermelon juice that is light and smooth, serve cold and enjoy!
Are you ready to go wild?