A juice cleanse can be incredibly beneficial for our bodies – especially if you have a special event coming up that you want to look super glowing and gorgeous for from the inside out … you know … like a wedding on a Prime Time Television special on the Hallmark Channel – it might be your motivation?
When i take on a Juice cleanse i often don’t do it for any longer than three days because that’s what works for me, but there are so many programs and guides out there to follow to help get you started. Just make sure you look around and do your research! Not everyone agree’s on the idea of a cleanse and i am not a medical expert but i know what works for my body and i try to listen to it and treat it with as much kindness as i can!
The idea of a doing cleanse is to help your body eliminate nasty toxins that can build up over time.
Toxins aren’t generic either… they come from a whole index worth. They can be found in the form of food chemicals, refined foods, artificial sweeteners, preservatives, alcohol, tobacco, pesticides, hormones, antibiotics, cosmetics, cleaning products, the environment and the list goes on and on … and on and on and on like the Taio Cruz Song.
Now our body is a clever organisation and already has its own detoxification process. Our liver, kidneys, colon, lungs, lymphatic system, digestive system and skin are all part of the elimination process working 24/7 to keep us functioning.
A cleanse helps to give them an extra boost, a helping hand … a mini break. We all need one of those from time to time, right?
A juice cleanse helps to give all of our organs a little break, it takes the “weight off their shoulders” and allows them to rest, regenerate and in turn, allows you to do the same. It can help cleanse toxins to give you clearer, brighter skin, increase your energy levels and for some even lose a couple of those unwanted extra pounds!
So what is a juice cleanse?
A juice cleanse consists of drinking nutrient filled beverages aka juices, for a sustained period of time. The juices are designed to keep your body and mind thriving while allowing your organs to detoxify and give your digestive system a well-earned break. This can help to heal & regenerate your body from the inside out leaving you gorgeous and glowing. During this period it is important to sustain from known toxins, foods and beverages.
To cleanse or not to cleanse … that is the question
Here are some common tell-tale signs that it might be worth giving your body a little break and try a cleanse.
When you read the list aloud it sounds pretty darn awful right? I can openly admit that one point in my life I was experiencing EVERYTHING on that list. That’s actually not normal my loves, contrary to what I allowed myself to believe.
Our body is a highly sophisticated system … this list that you see above is actually our body screaming at us for a much needed helping hand! Listen to your body and tune in …
Oh the possibilities!
Okay lovers, almost anyone can benefit from a cleanse and results will vary with each individual – we are not all the same and our bodies will not all respond the same but here is a list of some pretty sweet benefits.
So, you’ve decided to cleanse…
You have decided to give your body a break from the daily grind, now what?
Before you jump straight into your cleanse it’s recommend that you prepare your body for the journey. Cold turkey from your favourite foods, drinks and activities can be quite a task so it’s a good idea to start to cut down or refrain from things like coffee, nicotine, alcohol, soft drinks, processed foods, salty & sugary treats as well as red meat.
Increase your intake of fresh vegetables and low GI fruits. These wholefoods a full of fibre, antioxidants and vitamins to help nourish your body. Fresh fish is also great for giving your body those much needed omegas.
Hydration is a key component in the cleansing process, it assists in flushing out toxins while keeping our bodies functioning at its best – after all we are predominately made up of water so it’s important to replenish our stock levels. Staying hydrated also improves our energy levels and increases concentration and endurance.
Also it’s important to remember to move your body … Gentle exercise is an important component in cleansing.
Whether you are a beginner and starting with a 2 day cleanse or you have been cleansing since before the land of time here are some helpful tips when cleansing.
- Hot water & lemon first thing in the morning is our favourite way to start the day and you can continue to do this throughout your cleanse. It will help to flush out the kidneys and your liver as well helping to alkaline your body while hydrating.
- Hydrate … all day. It is vital in flushing out toxins and regenerating.
- Herbal teas are fantastic to sip on throughout the day in between your juices. They can help when you are craving or feeling a little low on energy. Especially if you are a coffee drinker you may even need something to help replace the habitual morning cuppa.
- Give yourself some TLC – light stretching, yoga or meditation can be very therapeutic and help to detox the mind while you are detoxing your body.
- Sleep is super important. This is when the body repairs and regenerates, your body is working hard for you during this process so give it a well-earned break. Rest up!
- Listen to your body – your body is tuned in to its wants and needs so make sure you tune in to it. Some people can continue regular exercise while cleansing and experience an abundance of energy, others may need more rest. Go with it, not against it. Try and avoid high intensity workouts and opt for a nice stroll along the beach instead.
- Dry Brushing the skin is a great way to stimulate our lymphatic system and increase blood flow. Do it before your shower first thing in the morning and keep doing it long after your cleanse. Your body will love you for it!
- Enjoy a relaxing bath with some Epsom salts and essential oils – not only is it therapeutic and a divine way to relax and unwind after a long day it also helps to draw out uric acid from your kidneys, adding further to your cleansing process.
- If you would really like to up-the anti during your cleanse you could try a lymphatic massage which helps flush the toxins from your body or try the sauna – our skin is our largest organ and it is constantly exposed to toxins so get em’ out and sweat it out!
As I mentioned earlier everyone responds differently during a cleanse, your experience, benefits and symptoms will be unique to you.
It is possible that when cleansing you could experience some of the following symptoms:
- Lightheaded feeling
- Low energy/fatigue
- Bad breath or unpleasant body odour
- Moods swings or HANGER (angry due to being hungry)
Please do not let these symptoms make you ride like the wind bulls-eye and head to the hills. They are only temporary and a natural reaction to your body’s cleansing process.
Your body will thank you later – just keep the goal in mind your ultimate goal … A happy, healthier, regenerated you! If you need a refresher just take a look at that pretty list of possible benefits!
Remember to ALWAYS consult your doctor or health practitioner before starting a detox or cleanse!