In honor of our guest, Phil Keoghan, host of CBS’s “The Amazing Race”, I created these travel memory boxes to help keep track of those amazing experiences we’ve had together as a family. I love doing shadow boxes for special events (like I did for Dollywood), but sometimes these boxes get put aside since they don’t really go with our décor….and let’s face it…sometimes we never get around to finding the time to create a shadow box or even a scrap book of our vacations! Well, I’ve found a way to create a place for these memories that will fit with your décor no matter what it is! It will also save time since it holds everything you need to remember from your vacay… photos, ticket stubs, maps, trinkets, etc. If you have a bookshelf or space for a book, you have room for this creative gem that will remind you of your incredible adventures.
What I love about these boxes is that they blend in with your own décor, yet they are easily accessible if you want to take a trip down memory lane. Instead of being on our cell phones when we get together, it would be nice to sit down with your family, open a memory box and reminisce about the fun times. It has been proven in psychology that people go through a slight depression when they return home from a vacation. You long to be on vacation again, and not return to life’s stresses. This is a way to relive these fun memories years down the road and turn that frown upside down.
Here’s how you get started …
You Will Need:
- Wooden box and/or a three-pack of stackable faux books – both which can be found on Amazon.
- Vinyl adhesive letters (1”)
- Acrylic paint
- Tape measure or ruler
- Memories from your trip!
- Take your book or box and paint it your desired color.
- Set aside to dry
- On the spine of the box, measure out the center of the spine and mark with a pencil.
- Arrange your vinyl adhesive letters to spell the place that you went on vacation. Arrange them so that they are equidistant from all sides of the spine.
- Fill with memories and enjoy!!!
Share with us all of your favorite Holiday snaps on Instagram and Twitter @paigehemmis & hashtag #DIYtravel #DIYplay
If you missed the episode check it out by heading over to Home & Family!