Spruce up your Entry!
Whether you have a great big entry or just a few feet of wall space, I’m going to show you how to spice up your entry and turn it into a welcoming and fashionable space.
Especially if you have a small space, you want to build something that will not only be stylish, but functional as well. Even if you only have a few feet of wall space, you can make it feel like it’s own grand entry in just a few easy steps.
I love to repurpose old items, so I’m choosing to use a door as the background for my entry bench. If you have an old door, you are one step ahead which will save you money. If you don’t have a door, you can pick one up at your local hardware store. Using a door as the back of our bench not only allows extra storage area, but it allows you to bring it with you if you move. Or… if you are renting, this saves your wall from unwanted holes (saves your security deposit)!
While this bench serves as a great place to sit down to put your shoes on, or set your purse down, we will use the entire height of the door to add additional spots for storage. Adding coat hooks looks stylish and is functional! Leaving a space at the bottom of the bench allows you extra storage. You can put two baskets under the bench to hold shoes and other items that seem to pile up near you entry.
You Will Need:
- Door (of any size)
- Screws and screw gun (or nails and nail gun)
- Sand paper
- Coat Hooks
- Accessories (such as baskets for under the bench seat)
- Measure your door. Our door is 36”
- Decide the height you would like your sides. Get creative here….with a jigsaw, you can create any design you would like. Make the first vertical 18” of your sides as wide and symmetrical as possible. Make them 18” wide as well. Then get creative for the additional area. Use the first side you make a template so your second side matches perfectly.
- Cut your plywood to fit in between the two sides of your bench. It will be your seat bench 18” deep by the size of your door. For us 36” wide.
- Lay down your door and set the sides on either sides of the door.
- Either screw in the sides (or nail in the sides)
- Measure 18” up and mark both of your sides.
- Take your cut piece for your bench and set into place. Either screw in or nail into place.
- Add any accessories you would like. We will be adding coat hooks for the sides and top part of the door. We will be adding baskets underneath the bench seat. (You can also add a mirror, picture, anything you would like!)
- Stain or paint your entry bench.
Share your DIY home makeovers with us on Instagram and twitter and make sure you tag @paigehemmis and hashtag #DIYhome