I love birthdays! Aside from any holiday all year long, I think birthdays are a true celebration. We get to CELEBRATE the day that our loved ones came into this world! Birthdays are very special and should be remembered! But we’ve all been there when the big day comes and we forgot to wish them “Happy Birthday”. That’s a horrible feeling! Well, I’m going to share with you a cute and fun way to remember all the birthdays in your life.
Being a new bride myself, I just inherited a bunch of new birthdays to remember. I could put reminders in my phone, on my calendar, but the best way that I’ve found to remember the special days in my life is to make something that is a beautiful art piece that will remind me every day. Not only do I love being able to see and remember the birthdays in my life, I love seeing the little names of my loved ones every day. It reminds me of the people I love, and the new important people in my life…a true reason to celebrate!
You can pick any style for this DIY…and since I love rustic, I went for a rustic feel. Make yours the colors and design that speaks to you!
You Will Need
- Wooden Board (can get at any craft store – choose one that you like)
- Drill with 1/8” drill bit
- Craft Wood small wooden hearts for hanging tags (as many as you need for your family’s birthdays) You can also buy wooden circles.
- Eye pins assorted sizes
- Jump rings assorted sizes
- Small eye hooks (12) for each month
- Craft paper in various colors/patterns
- Glue (stick glue)
- Small tip sharpie
- Scissors (or a stamp in the shape of the wood hanging tabs)
- French cleat for hanging
- Sticker transfer of vinyl letters or you can use a stencil and paint the letters on
- or you can use a wood burning etching tool to carve in the design you want
- Paint or stain (if desired)
- Wood Burning tool (if desired)
- Needle nose pliers
- Choose your layout. For a beginner, try using vinyl letters or a stencil. You can also use a sticker.
- Paint or stain your wood the color you would like it.
- Apply your stencils, wood burning or sticker for the lettering.
- Apply stickers or write in your own writing each month. If you are using asmaller piece of wood, you may need to abbreviate the months. Print thesemonths at the bottom of your sign.
- Seal the wood using a stain with sealer, or even Mod Podge.
- Take your wooden hearts (or circles) and drill a hole in the middle top withyour 1/8” drill bit. Repeat this step on the bottom of the heart ONLY if thereis one more heart to hang below it.
- Add craft paper to these hearts using glue. You can also use Washi tape orleave the hearts plain wood color, or paint each one a different color.
- Use your small eye hooks (12) for each month and screw them into thebottom of the wood below each month. If this is hard to do by hand, you maywant to consider pre-drilling a smaller hole and screwing in the eye hooks.
- Layout all of the birthdays you have to remember, and write one person oneach heart with only the number of the birthday
- Set these aside and arrange each month in their own pile in order from 1 to31.
- Use your eye pins to create a loop between the heart and the eye hooks. Youcan bend this metal using your needle-nose pliers.
- Attach these eye pins through the top hole in your wooden heart and use thejump rings if needed. Continue the process down so that you’ve hung all ofthe family members’ birthday in each month category.
- Apply your French cleat to the back of the sign and attach the second part ofthe French cleat to the wall where you intend to hang it.
- Hang it up and be grateful that you finally have a reminder of everyone’sbirthdays!
Share your DIY home makeovers with us on Instagram and twitter and make sure you tag @paigehemmis and hashtag #DIYhome