Spring has sprung! Spring is in the air and it’s time to put away the boots and get out the sandals. Take your old sandals and turn them from drab to fab! This is a great way to spruce up the shoes that have been collecting dust all winter long.
You Will Need:
- Fabric – chiffon and tulle mixture. I got an assortment of fabric remnants – it’s a good way to save money and get the right amount you need! If buying it new, get ¼ yard.
- Fabric Scissors
- 6 Beads/jewels you would like for the middle of the flower, I got “strung beads”.
- Hot glue gun
- Hot glue sticks
- Sandals, the best kind to use are those with a strap down the front.
- Thread, match the color of your fabric for the best match.
- Card stock
- Push pins
- Optional – hair clips
- Draw the petals of a flower on a piece of card stock – five petals work best. You can free-hand it, or use one of the templates provided. I used a variety of sizes that are available here.
- HINT: Draw just one petal on card stock and use that as a template for the entire 5-petal flower.
- Cut out the flower from the card stock.
- Take your chiffon fabric and fold it many times about the size of your flower, and with enough ease to cut through.
- Use pins to hold the fabric together.
- Place your template on top of the fabric. You can pin it to the fabric, or trace the outline of the flower onto your fabric
- Remove the template and add a pin to the center of your flower.
- Using fabric scissors, cut out the flower.
- Repeat this process for the tulle fabric.
- Repeat this process until you have about 30 layers for each flower. Mix the layers of tulle and chiffon.
- Take your threaded needle and tie it off at the end. Use a larger than usual knot to hold it in place.
- Take the needle through the bottom of the cluster of flower layers and make a few stitches to hold the layers in place.
- Take one of your threaded beads and secure it to the center of your flower. Continue making stitches until the bead is secured in place.
- HINT: Pinch the sides of the fabric so that your flower has volume and secure it with a stitch.
- OPTIONS – You can hot glue the flower into place on the sandal, or use hair clips and glue the flower to the clips.
- Enjoy your new Springy shoes!
Missed the episode? Check it out Home & Family!