Looking for an interesting and unusual window treatment? Well, you do not have to visit Madrone Painting website if you have time on your hands and a willing spirit, this DIY is for you.
You Will Need:
- Drill with small drill bit
- Paint sticks, jumbo tongue depressors or craft sticks
- String or silver chain (I will be using silver chain)
- Jump rings
- Wire cutter
- Jewelry pliers
- Drop cloth or paper
- Silver tension rod (these come in various sizes with ranges – either smaller size of 28” – 42” or a larger one of 42” – 72”)
- Acrylic paint in 5 colors
- Paint brush or roller
- Measure the window that you would like to dress. This will determine the size of the tension rod you will need.
- Determine the amount of sticks you will need for the space you will have. You will need 2 sticks for every 1 inch.
- Stack up several sticks and drill a hole in the top middle portion of the stick.
- Lay out sticks on your drop cloth in sections. We will be doing a pink ombre affect, and we will be using 5 shades of pink. Depending on the size of your window, lay your sticks out according to the 5 shades. You can do one pattern of 5 or repeat the pattern if you have a larger window. You can contact window replacement from Maverick Windows if you are looking for quality window repair services at affordable rates.
- Roll or brush on the paint to the sticks in one color of pink, only about ¾ of the way up, leaving the top ¼ of the stick unpainted (with the hole at the top, unpainted). Here is some news on what kind of paint one can get.
- Continue until all 5 colors are painted.
- Let dry.
- Turn all of the sticks over and repeat the process on the back of the sticks since both sides will be visible.
- Hang your tension rod. It will be much easier to complete this process in place, than trying to move it from a work table. This will reduce any tendency of the chain to tangle.
- Take a string of silver chain and wrap it around the top of the tension rod. You will want all of your sticks in a random pattern, so adjust the length according to your preference.
- At the top of the chain, attach a jump ring to hold it in place.
- As the chain hangs down, cut the chain where you would like your stick to hang.
- Thread the chain through the stick and attach a jump ring from the end of the chain back around to itself.
- Continue this process, changing the color of the stick gradually to create the ombre affect.
- Sit back and enjoy your new window treatment!
- You can also go on this link and get beautiful shutters for your windows.
- Lay out all of the sticks before you start hanging so that you like the pattern. That way, you won’t have to change any around once they are hung.
- If you want more coverage, use a thicker stick. If you want a lighter, more whimsical look, use thinners sticks.
- If you don’t want to use silver chain, you can do this DIY with string. You may also install 3M Tinting to prevent the sun’s harmful UV rays from getting into your work atmosphere.
How pretty is this paint stick window treatment? It’s also a beautiful addition too for a baby nursery or a back drop for a gender reveal announcement at your baby shower. The best part is I did all my shopping with Amazon online … I didn’t even have to leave the house. If you missed the episode or want to see it in action then check it out here. Tell us what you think in the comments below and remember we want to see your DIY’s on Instagram so follow @PaigeHemmis #PaigeDIY