Being away from family and friends is always hard, but it’s especially tough around the holidays. This is the perfect opportunity to let people in your life know that you miss them! This DIY was inspired by the movie “A Christmas Love Story” and stars Kristin Chenoweth & Scott Wolf. Make sure you put it on to watch while you’re creating these little gifts for your loved ones away from home this Holiday Season. Here is how to get started!
You Will Need:
- Card stock in a variety of colors
- Scrapbook paper
- Foam adhesive circles, medium size
- Wedding favor boxes or match boxes that slide opening
- Markers in a variety of colors
- A fine-point permanent marker
- Glue dots
- Double-sided tape
- Optional: Tiny red wired roses
- Optional: Red and white twine
- Optional: Brown craft tissue paper
1. Before you get started on this DIY, there are a couple of things you will want to keep in mind:
- Decide what you want to say to your loved one. Keep in mind since these boxes are small, you will need to keep the message small as well.
- Decide how you would like to split it up. Since one part of the message will be on the top (and therefore seen right away).
- Although you can make any saying you want, I’m going to show you how to make the “You’ve got mail” box.
2. On red card stock, draw a mailbox with pencil first. Once you are happy with it, go over it with a black marker. Cut it out.
3. On white card stock, write “You’ve got mail”. If you don’t want to use your own handwriting, you can print this on your computer. Cut it out.
4. On white card stock, draw a small envelope that could fit in the red mailbox that you drew. I added a heart in the middle and colored it red, and I used a little blue on the envelope. Cut it out.
5. Using double-sided tape, add “You’ve got mail” to the left side of the top of the box. With double-sided tape, this will sit flush on your box.
6. Using the foam adhesive tabs, add the mailbox to the right side of the box. You can cut the foam adhesive tabs to fit your design. The foam adhesive will give a 3-D effect.
7. Using double-sided tape, add the little envelope like it is coming out of the mailbox.
8. For the inside, take your tiny roses and bunch them together for a dozen. Using the wire that the roses are attached to, wrap them up together.
9. Lay your tiny bouquet on the tissue paper and wrap them up. Secure by tying with a piece of the red and white twine.
10. Take a note made on cardstock or regular paper and roll it up. Secure by tying with a piece of the red and white twine.
11. Put the items in the box.
12. Slide the bottom part of the box inside, send it to a loved one and send some joy!
For more festive DIY’s make sure you head on over to Home & Family online. Share with us all of your Holiday crafts and DIYs on Instagram and Twitter @paigehemmis
If you missed the episode check it out by heading over to Home & Family!