An animal print rug is a cool addition to any décor, but they can be very expensive and not-so-friendly to the animal community! So I’ve come up with a way to make one for a fraction of the cost that is safe for the animals!
A usual zebra or cowhide rug will cost anywhere from $400 – $3,000. You can make this DIY version for about $15. This will take a few days to get it done, but it’s not a lot of work over those few days and the pay-off is worth it!
You Will Need:
- Canvas drop cloth
- White paint, flat (water-based)
- Plastic drop cloth (or use trash bags)
- Brown paint, flat (water-based) (You can also use black paint if you want a black and white zebra)
- Paint brush
- Paint roller
1. Unfold your canvas drop cloth onto a flat surface.
2. Fold the drop cloth in half
3. Trace an outline of an animal rug (you can eyeball it, or use an actual animal print rug as a template.
4. Unfold the drop cloth and iron the entire surface.
5. Using a paint roller, paint the surface with a thick coat of white paint (you can use any color of white or light cream) Use a water-based paint instead of oil.
6. Add another coat of white paint. You don’t need to make sure that the first coat is dry before adding the second coat.
7. Let this coat dry overnight.
Missed the episode? Check it out on Home & Family!