We’ve started our countdown to Christmas…although with our Christmas Corner here on Home and Family, we always have a little Christmas to help you get a jump on your holiday DIY’s. This DIY is inspired by the cook in all of us, or the cook that will TRY to pull off a great Christmas dinner this year (no judgment!). This is an adorable way to repurpose wooden kitchen spoons and other utensils into a great Christmas gift, or keep it for yourself for a little Christmas cheer décor for your own house. Either way, we will be serving up some Christmas cheer with these spoons!
You Will Need:
- Wood spoons (you can even use the square ones)
- Acrylic paint
- Acrylic paint pen in black
- Paint brush or sponge
- Small black buttons
- Small wooden mushroom buttons
- Plastic miniature snowman carrot noses
- Any other little decorative items like ribbon, beads, googly eyeballs, construction paper, ribbon, pom poms, angel wings etc.
- Set your spoons on a paintable surface, and paint them according to the characters you would like to use. I am making a Santa Claus, a toy soldier, a reindeer, a gingerbread man, an angel and a snowman. We will be focusing on the snowman for the step out.
- Paint your base coat of paint on all sides and set aside to dry. For the snowman, we will be painting the spoon white.
- Once dry, add embellishments like eyes and mouth with your black paint pen.
- Using your hot glue gun, glue on the carrot nose to the middle of the spoon/snowman’s face.
- Add any other embellishments using hot glue that you would like. I’ll be attaching a scarf made out of ribbon, a top hat made out of construction paper, and three buttons down the handle of the spoon.
- Pack up your little characters once they are all dry and enjoy the Christmas cheer it brings your kitchen!
- Use old spoons that might be discolored or burned. Once they are painted, you won’t be able to tell! This is a great way to repurpose old spoons.
- Using a black paint marker instead of paint and a paintbrush will make you appear like a much better artist than you actually are! It’s a great shortcut.
- Print pictures off the internet for inspiration for any of the characters you would like to paint.
- Use the square spoons to make square characters like a toy soldier.
You can recreate this DIY all by shopping with Amazon online … I didn’t even have to leave the house. If you missed the episode or want to see it in action then check it out here. Tell us what you think in the comments below and remember we want to see your Festive Holiday DIY’s on Instagram so follow @PaigeHemmis #PaigeDIY