This week on Home & Family I got to play in the Christmas corner. Coming up with new Christmas decor ideas is always so fun and this week was no exception. Check out these adorable bookcase coasters.
You Will Need:
- 2 Rectangular Craft Plaques
- A set of coasters
- Button nubs
- Hot glue
- Black acrylic paint
- Red acrylic paint
- Gold paint pen – Medium tip
- Either MDF or plywood for the sides
- Nail gun with1” nails
- Wood glue
- Jig saw
- Sand paper
- OPTIONAL: Stickers or décor for your bookshelf.
1. Measure your coaster set. This will provide the inner dimension for the width of your bookshelf.
2. Take that number and add the width of your MDF or plywood. Multiply by 2 (this will give you the total width needed to sit on your plaque).
3. Take that measurement and add 1/2” on either side on your plaque.
4. For the depth, add up the depth of your coasters and add the size of your MDF or plywood that you will use as a backing. Cut any excess off the plaque.
5. Take your plywood or MDF and cut a scroll design on the two sides with your jigsaw.
6. Sand all the edges to make them smooth.
7. Attach all of your sides together with wood glue and nail gun. On the top of the bookshelf, only use four nails on the corners. This will allow you to cover it up with your buttons.
8. Add the button nubs to the top four corners where you nailed the bookshelf together with hot glue.
9. Turn the structure over and add an additional four button nubs to the bottom with hot glue (this will look like the bookshelf has feet).
10. Paint the whole bookshelf red.
11. Take one side of each coaster and paint it black. Set aside to dry.
12. Take your gold paint pen and draw on the “spine” of your coaster to look like a book. Make two lines on top and two lines on the bottom.
13. Write down the side of your coaster spine with holiday words (or any words that you would like all year long!)
14. Once everything is dry, assemble it all together. If you would like to add stickers or decoration, do this now.
15. Invite some friends over for festivities and enjoy your new coaster bookshelf!
If you missed the episode or want to see it in action then check it out here. Tell us what you think in the comments below and remember we want to see your DIY’s on Instagram so follow @PaigeHemmis #PaigeDIY