I love candles – inside, outside, scented, unscented…love them all! So here are a couple of ways that we can spice up our candles and make them a little fancier.
You Will Need:
- 2” diameter glass candle votives
- Balsawood planks
- X-Acto knife
- Cutting mat
- Masking tape
- Opaque oil-based paint pen
1. If you’re using the 2” diameter votive, just print our template, cut it out and trace it onto your wood with pencil. If you’re using a different size votive, measure across the top of the votive and that should be the width of the “u” shape you cut out of the top of each piece of balsawood. Measure the thickness of your wood and make a slit in the center of the bottom of one piece and a slit in the middle of the “u” shape you cut on the other to the same length. This creates a saddle joint.
2. Use an X-Acto knife to cut the wood.
3. Sand any necessary edges.
4. Tape off the pieces to paint. Measure from the bottom up of each piece in multiple places so your tape gets placed straight.
5. Paint the wood. Allow to dry.
6. Take the tape off to reveal a crisp line.
7. if desired, add a line of gold with the paint pen where the wood and paint meet, this is good for covering up any imperfections or just adds a fun metallic pop! Set aside to dry.
8. Slide the two pieces together at the slits, it should look like an “x” from the top.
9. Place the glass votive with a candle in and enjoy!
For more DIY’s and home decor ideas make sure you head on over to Home & Family online. Share with us all of your crafts and DIYs on Instagram and Twitter @paigehemmis
If you missed the episode check it out by heading over to Home & Family!