People often make the assumption that eating a predominately plant based diet means that we eat a boring diet … ummm no! It’s anything but boring … I get to be creative in the kitchen and dream up new recipes all the time. There is a lot of trial and error and that’s where the magic really happens.
Lately us gals have been craving sweet treats which is totally unlike me, but I listen to my body and I give her what she wants, so a sweet treat it was. I got in the kitchen and whipped up a decadent & dangerously delicious Vegan Choc Caramel Cookie Recipe. Oh my yum.
This Vegan Choc Caramel Cookie Recipe takes no time at all to prepare and only has a handful of ingredients. The real super hero ingredient in this recipe is cacao. The good news is, while I’m not suggesting you consume these sweet treats everyday … cacao has some pretty cool health benefits so when you do indulge you don’t have to be shamed into eating in a dark corner alone!
Here are some pretty cool benefits of cacao!
- Raw Organic Cacao powder is pumping with antioxidants which are super important because they help to absorb free radicals from the toxins in our environment.
- If you consume a predominately plant-based/vegan diet like myself and looking for iron, you need look no further! Cacao has the one of the highest plant-based source of Iron at 7.3mg per 100g. If you want to find out more about why iron is important for our health check out Claire’s BLOG here.
- Cacao is one of the highest plant-based sources of magnesium, the most deficient mineral in the Western world! Magnesium is important for a healthy heart, and it helps us turn glucose into energy.
- Cacao also has more calcium than cows milk … hello healthy bones!
Now this recipe is not for the faint of heart. It’s for the true sweeties out there. In fact … I’m actually surprised I committed to it’s sweetness. On the scale of sweet to savoury it is definitely right at very top of the sweet scale. It’s a treat … It’s not going to be something where you sit down and eat the whole batch at once. These cookie sandwiches are to be savoured, enjoyed and indulged.
Vegan Choc Caramel Cookie Recipe
- Vitamix 2L Wet Container
- mixing bowl
- ½ cup cacao powder
- ¼ cup gluten-free all purpose flour
- ½ cup maple syrup
- ¼ cup coconut sugar
- 3 Tbsp earth balance spread (or nut butter)
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- Pre-heat your oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Mix together in a bowl your cookie ingredients until you have formed a dough.
- Roll into balls your mixture and place on lightly greased baking tray. Your mixture should make you roughly 16 balls.
- Place into the oven and bake for 10mins.
- Put your filling ingredients into you vitamix wet blade container and secure the lid.
- Select variable 1. Turn the machine on and slowly increase the speed to 5.
- Blend for 30 seconds – 1 minute or until smooth, light and fluffy.
- Stop the machine and set aside.
- Remove your cookies from the oven, set aside and allow to cool
- Take a spatula and scoop out your filling, Place a dollop on the centre of one cookie. Take another cookie and sandwich them together. Repeat this step until you have sandwiched together all of your cookies with your delicious filling.
- Serve and enjoy!
For more healthy living & Recipe Inspiration head on over and visit my good friends at Raw Blend. We want to see your recipe creations at home! Make sure you follow us on Instagram and Twitter @paigehemmis & #DIYeat to share with us your delicious recipes!