Matcha … You’ve heard of it. I am obsessed with it. But what is it?
Matcha Green Tea is a high quality powdered green tea. It’s made from nutrient-rich young leaves that are stone ground into a very fine powder. This superfood powder is rich in nutrients, antioxidants, fiber and chlorophyll and is a growing trend among foodies young and old, but this brew has been a tradition in Japanese culture for centuries.
You can drink Matcha ice cold or in a steamy latte, you can blend it up in your smoothie, add it to your ice-cream or even throw it in your vegan dessert recipes … you can pretty much sprinkle this superfood like pixie dust into anything you want. As long as you don’t mind it tasting like Matcha.
Matcha has a pretty distinct taste … it’s kind of like trying red wine or dark chocolate for the first time, but once your taste buds do a little dance with Matcha they will make a lot of love and get down tonight!
So why is it so Super?
Well I’m so glad you asked … the benefits that Matcha can provide your health outshine other green teas hanging out in your super market line because you are ingesting the whole leaf, rather than just brewing it in water. They actually say that one glass of Matcha Green Tea is the equivilent to having 10 glasses of regular green tea …. say what!? I know!
So what are the benefits of Matcha?
Matcha is hailed for it’s mood enhancing and relaxation benefits. That’s right its got smooth chill vibes. This dynamic duo makes Matcha particularly good to drink as an aid with meditation. It provides you with a sustained calm feeling along with sustained alertness. Hello 3pm fuzzies!
Matcha has also been said to assist in weight loss and detoxifying the bod thanks to it’s good friends fibre and chlorophyll. What’s not to love about Matcha?
In case you needed a little extra enticing I have a Matcha Ice-Cream recipe to help sweeten the deal!
Matcha Ice Cream
Makes: 0.5 – 1L
- 2 cans of coconut milk 15oz, CREAM ONLY not the liquid (I found the best way to do this is to set the cans in the fridge overnight and then scoop out the cream. Yum).
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- 5 dates
- 3 Tbsp Green Tea Matcha Powder
- 3 cups of ice
- Put all the ingredients into the Vitamix 2L container in the order listed and secure the lid.
- Select Variable 1. Turn the machine on and quickly increase the speed to 10, then override to High.
- Use the tamper to effectively press the ingredients into the blades whilst processing.
- Blend for 30-45 seconds or until desired consistency is reached.
- Stop the machine and serve.
For more healthy living & Recipe Inspiration head on over and visit my good friends at Raw Blend. We want to see your recipe creations at home! Make sure you follow us on Instagram and Twitter @paigehemmis & #DIYeat to share with us your delicious recipes!