July 4 is just around the corner my friends and it is one of my FAVORITE holidays! Usually at any July 4 party the spread of food is full of crazy, fun, sugary, salty delights – and there will be plenty of that at my house this weekend … but for those who are looking for a heathy alternative, try making these themed and festive fruit skewers!
For our theme of Red, White and Blue I have chosen fruits to represent each color and I have placed them together to make the design of an American Flag.
You will need:
- bamboo skewers
- 2 cups of strawberries
- 6 bananas
- 2 cups of blueberries
- Peel bananas and slice them between 1cm – 2cm in thickness.
- Cut the top off the strawberries and slice into halves.
- Grab a skewer and begin threading your fruit starting with the strawberries.
- Thread 2 pieces of your cut strawberries about ¾ of the way down the skewer. This will be the bottom so you will need to leave enough room for people to hold them at the base.
- Follow this with 2 pieces of Banana. Repeat this process one more time for each fruit
- Thread 5 blueberries to the top of your skewer.
- Repeat this threading pattern for about 5 skewers. This will help form the blue corner of your flag design.
- The rest of the skewers will only consist of strawberries and bananas from bottom to top and will create the rest of your flag design formation.
- Thread fruit for desired number of skewers.
- Place your skewers on a serving tray in the deign of the American flag.
- Any left over sliced fruit keep refrigerated and at an arms reach to keep topping up your tray.
Tip: When serving add a small bowel of dipping chocolate to the side of your tray. Chocolate covered strawberries and bananas are a delicious treat for the not so health conscious … usually me!