Today’s DIY inspiration came from two places … One is the new Hallmark movie “In The Key of Love”, and also my wedding! Which we just celebrated our 4th Wedding Anniversary … how time flies!
Weddings are such a beautiful moment in our lives, and create memories that will last forever! One of the most special parts of my wedding was the music…and that my hubby sang that music to me for the first time ever on that special night! He sang “Somewhere over the rainbow” which has had a special place in my heart. My aunt and Godmother, who passed away a year before my wedding, was one of my favorite people in the whole world. She could see the beauty in everything, and shared that gift with us. She loved rainbows, and loved the song Over the Rainbow, which we affectionately played at her funeral. Having my husband sing that to me was such a beautiful moment, and made me feel that my aunt was looking down on us, as she continues to do today.
All of us have special memories attached to songs that are played at our wedding. Why not have a item that can remind us of that day all the time? Jase and I just remodeled a house and bought some new furniture – some that definitely needs coasters. So I combined these two ideas and am making DIY Sheet Music Coasters! I’m going one step further with this DIY and I am also creating a box to keep these in while not in use. Here is how to get started.
You Will Need:
Materials For Coasters
- 4 Ceramic tiles (can get at the hardware store for under $1 each)
- Mod podge
- Sponge brush
- Sheet music
- Small wooden box (big enough to fit 4 coasters)
- Music note appliqué
- Hot glue/glue gun
- Optional: Acrylic Paint
Directions for Coasters
1. Measure the tile that you will be using as a coaster.
2. Either get a sheet music book or print your favorite song from the internet.
3. Cut out the sheet music the exact size of the tile.
4. Add a thin layer of mod podge to the tile.
5. Add the sheet music.
6. Add an additional layer of mod podge over the sheet music and set aside to dry (keep in mind that this will go on milky but will dry clear)
Directions for Box
1. Paint your wooden box or use the same method as above and mod podge sheet music to the box.
2. Add your appliqués with hot glue.
3. Add your tiles into the box and display them for everyone to use!
- Use glossy mod podge. This will shine and will hold up better with condensation or hot drinks.
- Use songs that speak to you – whether it’s your wedding, “your song”, or a special time in your life…the possibilities are endless and up to you!
If you missed the episode check it out by heading over to Home & Family!