Fall is here! We’ve been focusing on outdoor decorations so far, but it’s time to bring Autumn inside the house! And décor that serves a second purpose is even better! It’s nice to have something for people to do when they’re stopping by your home. During Fall the kids are back to school so there are after school play dates with parents stopping by, then with Halloween coming you may have a lot more traffic in your home. This is a nice thing to have sitting on the coffee table because it brings fall into your room and it gives guests something fun to do.
This is an Autumn décor piece for your home that is a tic-tac-toe board with pumpkins instead of x’s and o’s. This will keep your guests (and kids) entertained while at the same time creating a decoration for Autumn. Instead of keeping the pumpkins the traditional orange color, I’m going to jazz them up with beautiful colors and glitter.
Fun and function! What more do we need for the holidays?
You Will Need:
- Wood for board – A craft sheet of ¼” plywood. Have your local hardware store cut the wood for you.
- Wood glue
- Nail gun
- Paint (you can chose any color that you like, but since it’s Fall, I opted to go with a dark brown
- 10 pumpkins from craft store
- Gold and Silver spray paint
- Any accent glitter that you would like to use
- Mod podge
- Blue painter’s tape
- 2 cardboard boxes
- Utility knife
- Take your wood and cut it to size (or have your hardware store cut the pieces for you) I will provide the exact sizes when I make the box.
- Take the four largest pieces of wood and create the box structure by adding wood glue and securing it into place with a nail gun.
- Add wood glue to the bottom and sides of the internal pieces of the box. Notch parts of the wood out so that it fits over the other cross pieces (demonstrated).
- Paint the entire box brown.
- Take two separate cardboard boxes and turn them over.
- With your utility knife, make a small “x” where you will put the stems of the pumpkins in.
- Before you put in the pumpkins, cover the stem with blue painters tape.
- Turn the pumpkins over and push the stems through the x so that non of the pumpkin is touching the box.
- Add your color of spray paint – 5 gold and 5 silver.
- Let pumpkins dry.
- Remove from cardboard box and remove the painter’s tape.
- Add a thin layer of mod podge to the top half of the pumpkin.
- Immediately sprinkle your glitter on the top half of the pumpkins and set aside to dry.
- Voila! You are done! Add the pumpkins to the board and start playing, Autumn style!
Have you got a fun & festive fall DIY? Share with us in the comments below and remember we want to see your DIY’s on Instagram and Twitter so make sure you follow @paigehemmis & hashtag #DIYfengshui #DIYplay
If you missed the episode check it out by heading over to Home & Family!