What is it?
With kids going back to school, they will need a place in their room for assignments, for schedules and for fun! So here is a cork board idea that you can customize for your child to get them organized and ready for school…and for life!
Why do we need it?
Students are SO busy these days – between school, after school activities, sports, etc. How do you keep track of everything? I want to create something for kids that helps them prioritize things in their lives…and this cork board will help them do that.
How does it work?
Now here comes the fun part….prioritizing. If you have something to do in the future, pin this on the outermost ring of the bulls-eye. As the day gets closer or more important, repin this closer and closer to the center of the bulls-eye. When an items hits the middle, it’s high priority and must be done today! And…it all looks cute while you are doing it.
For me, I prioritize my to-do list every day, but I use an organizer. Having something visual on the way will help you see what you need to do, and when. A calendar can get overwhelming, but a fun cork board that is constantly changing will keep you interested and engaged. This will help your kids learn how to prioritize all of their to-do’s in a fun way. It creates a great foundation for staying organized in the future. It’s also great for adults! Same principles apply!
- Cork board material (Squares or Roll. As seen: 14”x14” squares)
- Large decorative frame
- Gold spray paint
- Black spray paint
- Glue (hot glue gun with glue sticks)
- Push pins
- Plastic darts (small)
- Spray adhesive
- Glitter (loose and pourable)
- Blue painter’s tape
- Card stock
1. Cut the four cork board pieces in the shape of a circle. (You can do this on one board and use it as a template for the three other boards)
2. Cut four smaller circle pieces out of the card stock. You will use these as the template for the bulls-eye. You only need to cut one quarter of each circle.
3. Lay out your template on the first board.
4. Mark in pencil where you will want these placed.
5. Spray the back of the cardstock lightly with spray adhesive and set it into place on the cork board.
6. Use any stencils you might want to use as well and set them in place.
7. In a well-ventilated area, spray the boards with either gold spray paint or black spray paint, according to your preference.
8. Remove the card stock and stencils immediately.
9. Do the same on all four boards so that when they come together, they create a circle.
10. Add these four boards to your main frame using hot glue. You can use the cardboard backing that comes in the frame, or use a foam core board as your backing.
11. Display your cork board proudly and add any to-do’s, pictures, or anything that you would like!
12. DARTS: Coat all sides of the dart in spray adhesive (you just need a little spray so you should be able to do this inside your house)
13. Sprinkle glitter on all sides of the dart.
14. Set aside to dry (at least 24 hours)
15. Get organized and look cute while doing it.
Do you have a DIY to help keep you organized and on task? Share with us in the comments below and remember we want to see your DIY’s on Instagram and Twitter so make sure you follow @paigehemmis & hashtag #DIYfengshui #DIYplay
If you missed the episode check it out by heading over to Home & Family!