Roller skating is making a comeback!
Back in my day, “inline skates” (aka roller blades) hadn’t been invented yet. So if a gal wanted to skate, you put on your 4-wheeled roller skates with the rubber stopper on the toe…and hoped for the best that the stopper actually stopped you! Back then, we didn’t have helmets, knee pads, wrist guards or elbow pads. We just laced up our skates and hit the road. And unless we went to a roller rink, we literally “hit the road”. And you can imagine, sidewalks and asphalt weren’t the best places to skate, but that didn’t stop us. The only time it actually stopped me is when I really got up some speed, hit a bump and broke my arm. (I have a picture of me at 7 years old in my arm cast and my kitty.) Now, you think that would have deterred me from ever skating again, but I may or may not have even skated with my cast on. I was a tomboy then and still am today!
When rollerblades came along, the 4 rollers took a back seat for a while but now they are the new and trendy thing to do! It’s kind of a throw-back to the 70’s, and people are not only skating again, but they are bringing back the clothing style to accompany the nostalgia. As a matter of fact, I am throwing my bestie, Ameka a 30th birthday party, and her dream has been to have a disco roller skate party…so to gear up for the big event, I’m showing you today how you can personalize your roller skates to have one-of-a-kind dig! You can do this to new skates, or upcycle your old skates!
And aside from this being the latest trend, there are many health benefits to roller skating….I mean aside from breaking your arm like I did at 7. This chart indicates how just one hour of roller skating compares to other forms of workout (and by the way…it’s WAY more fun than going to the gym!)
If you take your own skates to upcycle, you will spend about $5 to bling them up. If you are starting from scratch, you can buy plain skates from anywhere from $35 – $100. Custom Designed skates can cost you up to $350, this DIY is a HUGE savings!
You Will Need:
- Skates (either new or wipe the dust of your old ones!)
- Embellishments (which is really just a fancy word for bling, glitter, stickers and fun stuff that you want to use on your skates)
- Paint pens
- Glue (I like hot glue and glue gun)
- OPTIONAL: Pom pom maker
- OPTIONAL: Yarn
- Lay out how you would like your skates and draw in pencil where you would like every embellishment to go.
- Start decorating with all of your fun items!
- Keep decorating until you achieve your desired result!
- OPTIONAL: If you want to make cute little pom-poms, then grab your pom-pom maker, some yarn and scissors and get to work according to the manufacturers directions.
- Voila! Put on your skates and hit the road (or the rink)!
Do you have an old pair of Roller Skates that needs revamping? Share with us in the comments below. Take those skates out of storage, dust them off and bedazzle those babies. Get rollin’ and burn some calories with your besties, and remember we want to see your DIY’s on Instagram and Twitter so follow @paigehemmis & hashtag #DIYplay
If you missed the episode check it out by heading over to Home & Family!