Here at Hallmark, we get so much of our inspiration from the movies that appear on The Hallmark Channel and Hallmark Movies and Mysteries. Today’s DIY is inspired by Hallmark Movies and Mysteries “Words Can Kill”. Ooooooh…sounds mysterious already! Now if you are trying to be a sleuth and look for clues, a magnifying glass can really help. You know what can also help? A tasty beverage! So I’m making coasters that look like magnifying glasses to get us in the mood to solve some mysteries….or solve the mystery of “What am I going to watch tonight!?” Here is how you get started.
You Will Need:
- 1/8″ thick craft wood sheets (5″x10″ minimum)
- 3″ diameter clear acrylic rounds (1/8″ thickness)
- Fabri-tac or gap filling super glue
- 2 3/4″ hole saw
- 3″ hole saw
- Power Drill
- Dremel Moto-Saw
- Wood glue
- Magnifying glass pattern
- Handsaw with thin blade
1. Cut two identical rectangles from your craft wood.
2. Stack the rectangles and clamp them onto a thick piece of scrap wood.
3. Use your 2 ¾” hole saw to drill into through both pieces of wood oriented at the center of the top.
4. Carefully remove the top piece, of wood and re-clamp the bottom piece.
5. Using your 3” hole saw, line up your center bit to the hole created in by the center bit of your first hole to ensure the holes will be lined up properly. Drill through.
6. Use wood glue to adhere your two layers of craft wood together, make sure the holes are centered to each other. You should have a lip of 1/4” all the way around the interior of your circle.
*Clamp together or weight down while the glue cures. *
7. Once the glue has set, trace your magnifying glass pattern onto your rectangle. Make sure to center your hole.
8. Cut your magnifying glass shape out with a saw.
10. Coat with sealant.
11. Take a fine paintbrush and apply a thin layer of glue along the interior edge of the 1/4” and drop your acrylic round in.
12. Allow to glue to cure and enjoy!
If you missed the episode check it out by heading over to Home & Family!