As we get ready for the holidays, I love creating items that can decorate my fireplace mantel. Creating an entire new scene for each holiday, however, can be pretty pricey! So I set out to create a beautiful mantel design by going to a thrift store (like the character in the movie), and repurposing many different vases to make them look like I spent lots of money getting this one-of-a-kind set of ombre vases! I love this because you can take items that don’t look ANYTHING alike and turn them into something magical that matches. And…if you have some leftover vases at home, you could skip the thrift store altogether and make this from items you already have around the house. Because I’m in Christmas Corner and getting ready to use these for Christmas, I will be sticking with a Christmas-color theme of different shades of red starting from maroon up to a light pink and adding some glitter to be extra festive! Here is how to get started.
You Will Need:
- Vases in a variety of sizes and shapes
- Flat white spray paint
- Regular spray paints: dark to light
- Glitter spray paint
- Disposable gloves
- OUTDOOR workspace
- Lazy susan
1. Clean and dry each vase that you have. *Spray paint will not adhere to any surface that is dusty. *
2. Set up your outdoor workspace, cover anything you don’t want glittered with drop cloth or butcher paper.
3. Properly put on your respirator according to the directions.
4. Take your white spray paint and apply an even base coat to your vases. Allow to dry.
5. Take the darkest color you have and spray the bottom of each vase. Allow to dry. *Since you will have many different shapes and sizes, an easy rule of thumb is to paint the bottom 1/3 of the vase this color. *
6. Take the second darkest color and spray paint the middle third. Overspray a bit onto the color below to blend. Overspray a bit above as well. Allow to dry.
7. Now take the lightest color and spray the top of the vase, leave a tiny bit of white showing at the top. Be sure to spray over the color below to blend. Allow to dry.
8. Once you have all of your vases painted in this ombré effect, add the glitter! You can give them a light spray paint of either gold or silver glitter. Keep in mind that you want to be even with your spray strokes.
9. Fill the vases with any décor or simply set them on your mantel and enjoy!
If you missed the episode check it out by heading over to Home & Family!