If you know me, you know that I love to decorate! Usually I’m staging a house to be sold, but even when I’m keeping a house, I like to change it up a bit from time to time. Usually my redecorating involves moving a wall or rearranging furniture, but this DIY is something that everyone can do – whether you own your home or are just renting an apartment! This is simple and REMOVABLE! So if you are renting, you won’t have to worry about losing your security deposit with this little trick. I’m going to show you how to make a very classy, very expensive-looking headboard that is easy and won’t break the bank!
You Will Need:
- Peel and stick wallpaper (removable)
- Rosettes (miterless)
- Fluted moulding (miterless)
- Command velcro strips
- Large level
1. Take your pencil and level to draw a square onto the wall that is the desired size of your headboard.
*Hardware store can cut your moulding to size if you have the dimensions. *
2. Line up the edge of your first piece of wallpaper to the inside of your square. Begin to apply your wallpaper, making sure your pattern lines up as you apply more strips.
*Be sure to pull up and re-adhere to smooth any wrinkles as you apply. *
3. Apply the command velcro strips to the back of your moulding and rosettes.
4. Adhere one piece of moulding to the wall along a vertical edge of your wallpaper, using your level to make sure it’s straight.
5. Attach your rosette to the wall at the top of that moulding.
6. Butt your top piece of moulding against the side of that rosette, double check that it’s level and stick on across the top of your wallpaper.
7. Butt another rosette up against the end of that moulding and adhere to wall.
8. Using your level to ensure it is square, adhere your final piece of moulding to the other side to finish your faux headboard.
9. Once everything is adhered, erase any pencil marks and enjoy!
- You don’t even have to do this directly on your wall! You could take a piece of plywood (or a couple of pieces) and create this same look and attach it to your bed. That way you can take it with you if you move. Bonus 🙂
- The wall paper and command strips will not damage your wall. Each of these products is made so that you don’t ruin your wall at all! Great for people who are renting, and great for people like me who like to change up my decorating from time to time!
- Since we are using flat moulding with rosettes, you don’t need to make any angled cuts…that means the hardware store with cut these for you in your desired length!
- This project works MUCH better with a friend, so call one over for some help! Trust me – it will make the project go much smoother and faster!
- You don’t have to be perfect with your lines when applying the wallpaper because the moulding will go over it…so you kind of have a few inches to work with if it’s not exactly perfect.
If you missed the episode check it out by heading over to Home & Family!