Today’s DIY was inspired by Home & Family’s favorite show, When Calls the Heart. Elizabeth, played by Erin Krakow wants a new library for the town but not all the folks are on board … you can catch the latest episode and check in with all of Hope Valley on our very own Hallmark Channel every Sunday 9pm/8c.
Elizabeth’s love for books ignited my own passion for a good book and I thought, why not create a little library of your very own at home. Here is how to get started.
You Will Need:
- 3 X Wooden Crates (Natural Pine)
- 2 X 1×3 Board, one of them Should be at Least 38” Long (Long enough so it can span the width of 2 studs)
- Wood Screws (Various Lengths)
- Drill (for Both Pre-drilling & Screwing)
- Weathered Wood Accelerator and Brush
- Long Wooden Plaque (for Library Sign)
- 2×2 Board (Slightly Shorter than Length of Wooden Plaque)
- Velcro Strip (Length Of 2×2 Board)
- Staple Gun
- Stud Finder
1. Decide which side of Crate will be the Bottom and Pre-drill Holes then Insert Screws along Each Slat on the Bottom for Additional Support.
2. Line Up All Three Crates.
3. From the Middle Crate, Pre-drill Holes then Screw all Three Together.
4. Line Up 38” 1×3 along Top of Back, Pre-drill Holes then Screw Board into the Thickest Part of Wood Crates.
5. Line Up Second 1×3 along Bottom of Back and Pre-drill Holes then Screw Board into the Thickest Part of Wood Crates.
6. Attach Velcro Strip To 2×2 Board. Reinforce with Staple Gun.
7. Attach Velcro Strip to Back of Wooden Plaque. Reinforce with Staple Gun.
8. Pre-drill Holes then Screw 2×2 Board into The Top Center Front of Shelf.
9. Paint Entire Shelf with Wood Accelerator.
10. Draw/Write Custom Sign.
11. Locate Studs with Stud Finder and Attach Shelf by Drilling Directly into at Least Two Studs.
12. Add Books and Decor to Shelf.
This DIY is perfect for those of you on a budget or want to maximize the use of a small space. For more creative DIY inspiration visit us at Home & Family and share with us all of your crafts and DIYs on Instagram and Twitter @paigehemmis