Framing your Give your Christmas decor a little lift by framing your front door or fireplace with my DIY Christmas Present Topiary. It’s also a great way to repurpose wrapping paper and Holiday supplies. You know I LOVE repurposing so here is how to get started.
You Will Need:
- Cardboard boxes in consecutive sizes
- Spray paint in Christmas color
- Acrylic paint in different Christmas color than the spray paint
- Round sponge brush
- Foam core
- X-acto knife
- Metal ruler
- Cutting mat
- Wrapping paper
- Hot glue gun and glue sticks
- Wide ribbon
- Optional: Paper mache gift boxes
1. First you need to create the lids for the boxes. For the bottom box you can just cut strips of foam core that are about 2” tall as wide as the sides of your box. Two of the strips should be slightly longer so you don’t have gaps on the corners. Attach a strip to the top edge to each side of the box with hot glue.
2. To create the lids for the other boxes, trace the top of each box size onto the foam core and cut out. Cut strips to edge the side of each lid like you did on the largest box. About 2” tall with strips two slightly longer than the other so you don’t have gaps on the corners.
3. Glue the strips to the edges of the top to finish your present tops.
4. In a well-ventilated area spray paint some of the boxes and their tops a solid color, metallic is always fun. Allow them to dry.
5. While those dry, wrap the other boxes and tops in various patterns of wrapping paper.
6. With your sponge brush and acrylic paint, paint a polka dot pattern onto the painted presents. Allow the paint to dry.
7. Cut two long lengths of ribbon and crisscross them so they meet in the middle. Secure with hot glue in the center. Place the biggest box on top and secure the ribbon to the bottom of the box with not glue.
8. Stack the boxes from largest to smallest, securing with hot glue in between each one.
9. Once your stack is complete bring the ribbons up to meet in the center of the top box. Trim any excess ribbon necessary and secure with glue in the center of the box.
10. Make a bow out of your ribbon and hot glue it on top.
11. Repeat steps 1-10 to make as many topiaries as you want.
12. Place with the rest of your décor and enjoy!