Recycling is the thing to do these days! Do any of you have empty wine bottles that you’d love to recycle or up-cycle? This a great way to repurpose old wine bottles, and make you look pretty fancy at your next gathering.
- Old wine bottles
- Dremel tool with a diamond grinding bit
- Glass cutting oil for the dremel
- Boiling water
- Chilled water (with ice cubes)
- Safety glasses
- Face mask
- Paint pen or sharpie
- Tub, sink or bucket for the chilled water
- Sand paper (100 grit)
1. Soak your empty wine bottle to get the labels off. You may need to use a scrub sponge to scrub off the residue.
2. Draw a line on your bottle where you would like the cut out.
3. With all of your safety gear on, take the dremel and start scoring the wine bottle over the
line that you made. You will need to add the cutting oil before you begin each cut. I found
that it was easier to score the bottle lightly, then go over the scoring several times, just
adding a bit more pressure each time.
4. Boil some water in a kettle.
5. Set up a tub with ice water that will fit a submerged glass.
6. When the bottle is properly scored, hold it over a sink and pour boiling water over the
7. Immediately put the bottle into the cold water. This should break the bottle where it was
8. Take your sand paper and sand the edges of the glass until they are smooth.
9. Rinse off your creation and let dry.
10. Fill it with fun snacks and enjoy!
If you missed the episode check it out by heading over to Home & Family where you can watch how-to step by step!