Antiqued metal frames. These frames cost well over $100 for a 4×6 picture. I found a way that we could make these frames for about $10 by using the faux metal ceiling tiles that they sell at home depot. Add a little paint and you can make $10 look like $100!
I personally love the look of these frames and have them hanging in my house with my favorite memories in them. I cherish them every day! So many people ask me where they can buy them and how much they are. Well…they are VERY expensive and hard to find. So I set out to find a better (and less expensive) way to get them done.
Here is how to get started!
You Will Need:
- Inexpensive frames that are FLAT on the front (this is very important). Also, these have to be blank on the backside (no flap…they need to hang on the wall, not sit on a table.
- Hot glue sticks
- Glue gun
- Sand paper (medium grit)
- Chalk paint (or any matte finish paint in a brush on paint or spray paint)
- Faux ceiling panels from your local hardware store.
- Tin snips or sturdy scissors
- Take your faux panel and measure out a 4”x6” opening in the middle of the panel. Mark this area with pencil.
- Taking your tin snips or scissors, make a hole in the middle of the opening and cut around your drawing, revealing a 4×6 hole in the panel.
- Take chalk paint (either spray paint or brushable paint) and add the color you would like to have on your frame. Set aside to dry.
- OPTIONAL: If your base color of the panel is not a good looking color to be revealed, add a base coat of brown, black or bronze to give it some definition.
- Take a medium grit sand paper and sand back some of the areas to reveal the color underneath.
- Take your panel and lay it on a flat surface. Take your frame and add it to the back side of the panel with hot glue, making sure the frame matches up with your opening.
- Let it dry, and add your favorite picture.
- Voila! Admire your great work!
Have you got a stylish decor DIY? Share with us in the comments below and remember we want to see your DIY’s on Instagram and Twitter so make sure you follow @paigehemmis & hashtag #DIYfengshui #DIYplay
If you missed the episode check it out by heading over to Home & Family!