Let’s talk breakfast. Now I am not one for pancakes or waffles in the morning, I’m not your morning muffin gal … I have a savoury tooth, but It’s no secret that Paige has a sweet tooth … I mean, when I first met Paige she lived off gummy bears, sour worms, candy & caramel popcorn. A caramel latte with whipped cream, extra caramel drizzle and a blueberry muffin was how she started her day. We know! Wow.
So, when we overhauled our health (mind, body & soul) and decided to live off a predominately plant based diet, blueberry muffins didn’t make the cut. Now that our health is on the mend and we are feeling better than ever we are ready to re-introduce SIMILAR foods into our diets. Like the good bestie I am, I did you all a solid, I’ve done some research and some flavour hunting and I came up with a delicious Vegan & Gluten-Free Protein HIT Blueberry Muffins for my sweet tooth girls … saaaayyy what? Yep.
Calling all Sweeties!
Consider switching your waffles and ice-cream for this delicious and kinda nutritious muffin! Now all of you dedicated foodies out there – don’t panic! I am not suggesting everyone eats these muffins every morning for breakfast. It just may be a healthier alternative to your current routine at home or a great way to treat yourself on a Sunday after that Runyon Canyon Hike … #cheatday.
If you’re like me and not a huge fan of the sweets I’ve got you! It’s not TOO sweet so us savoury monsters will enjoy this recipe as an after-noon snack for a little pick me up when the 3pm fuzzies hit.
The best part about all of this is, I just got out of the kitchen from the first baking trial and … well the muffin connoisseur gives her 100% approval. Oh yeah … they are the bomb diggity and that’s no diggity. So what are you waiting for? Get yo’self some!
Vegan & Gluten-Free Protein HIT Blueberry Muffins
You Will Need:
- ¾ cup gluten-free all purpose flour
- ¾ cup vegan protein powder (I use vanilla pea)
- ½ cup coconut sugar
- ½ tsp pink Himalayan salt
- 2 tsp baking soda
- 1/3 cup coconut oil
- ¾ cup coconut milk
- 1 large banana, mashed
- tsp vanilla essence
- 1 cup fresh or frozen blueberries
Optional: Cinnamon Sugar
- Pre-heat oven to 375 degrees.
- Mix together all the dry ingredients in a large mixing bowl in the order listed above.
- In a separate bowl mash banana and add all wet ingredients together.
- Combine the wet ingredients with the dry and mix together. Do not over mix, you want it to be a sticky, dough like consistency.
- Stir in the blueberries to the mixture.
- Lightly grease a muffin tray using coconut oil
- Take a Tbsp & scoop the mixture into each muffin hole. I was able to fill them almost to the top. If your muffin trays are slightly larger fill ½ – ¾ of the way up.
- Place in the oven and bake for 20 mins.
- Remove from oven and set aside to cool.
- Serve warm with a sprinkle of cinnamon sugar over the top, eat and repeat the sound mmmmm.
For more healthy living & Recipe Inspiration head on over and visit my good friends at Raw Blend. We want to see your recipe creations at home! So make sure you follow us on Instagram and Twitter @paigehemmis & #DIYeat!