Herbs require very little maintenance and are particularly great if you live in a small space like an apartment. They grow well in containers on your window sill and are a great way to save money in your pocket when it comes to cooking by adding a little green thumb to your kitten with my DIY Countertop Herb Garden. I have also put together a list of easy-to-grow herbs for your home which you can find on The Soul Sisters blog!
Here is how to get started!
You Will Need:
- Mason jars
- Potting soil for herbs and vegetables
- Gardening shovel
- Herbs in small containers
- Chalkboard label sticks
- Chalkboard markers
- Wooden window pane (2)
- Small decorative wood boxes
- Stencils and white acrylic paint (optional)
- Hot glue gun and glue sticks (optional)
1. Pick out the herbs that you would like to use. Buy them as already planted herbs and not seeds, unless you have a green thumb and wish to wait until they grow.
2. Make sure your mason jars are clean before you start. Using your shovel, put some potting soil in the bottom of your mason jar.
3. Take the Herb out of its packaging and set it inside the mason jar on top of the potting soil.
4. Fill the rest of the mason jar with soil.
5. Moisten the soil with a little bit of water.
6. Take your chalkboard labels sticks and chalkboard markers and label the Herb. Stick this in the side/top of your mason jar.
7. Take a little bit of the twine and tie around the open mouth of the mason jar. You can tie this in a knot or in a box. This is simply decorative.
8. Put your decorative boxes inside the window pane.
9. Put a mason jar with an herb in the front and the back of the box with the window frame in the middle.
10. If you would like to secure your boxes in place, use hot glue. (optional)
11. Enjoy your indoor herb garden!
If you missed the episode or want to see it in action then check it out here. Tell us what you think in the comments below and remember we want to see your DIY’s on Instagram so follow @PaigeHemmis #PaigeDIY